We interviewed Roy, the core developer of ICNaming, whose overall vision is to break the boundaries of Web2 to Web3 and build an open, transparent, cheap, and easy-to-use name service.
1. Please tell us about you, your name, position in the project, your credentials, etc., so that we can introduce you.
I'm Roy, and I'm the core developer of IC Naming. I have four years of experience in the blockchain industry and two years of experience in researching and developing underlying computer protocols.
2. What attracted you initially to Blockchain?
Trustless permissions with Blockchain have an unparalleled appeal to me, and it's awesome. I am happy and honored to build a reliable name service for this trustless machine.
3. Of all the platforms you could have chosen, why did you decide to build on the Internet Computer?
DFINITY is a singularity on the road of blockchain technology development. DFINITY has smart contracts that are more convenient for developers, built-in decentralized storage, and can be considered as a combination of ETH + IPFS. The reverse Gas model makes IC-based products easier to use, and it has performance close to the Internet to provide developers with Services.
4. How long has your company been established, and what is your business model based on?
We are a decentralized team; all team members have rich experience in open-source projects. We are building IC Naming as an open-source project, making the whole project more transparent.
5. What makes your company marketable, and what will ensure its long-term success?
The infrastructure and the most important thing for infrastructure to maintain long-term success is reliable quality and easy integration. IC Naming as an open-source project can be seen from our code repository. We have a lot of unit testing and automated integration testing code to ensure the quality of the whole IC Naming project.
At the same time, we have opened and open-sourced the JS-SDK, and we will enrich the related technical documentation to make it easy for developers to integrate and use IC Naming's services. Having reliable quality and easy integration will make IC Naming the basic setup that eco-applications are more willing to use and will have a more significant number of users.
Since we insist on open source and openness early, IC Naming has quickly gained more than 10,000 users since its launch.
6. What challenges have you faced while building your company?
The initial challenge was that some of the members did not know enough about the IC. After getting everyone to fully understand the IC (thanks to our technical advisor Witter, everyone soon agreed to provide infrastructure. It was a pleasure to have the opportunity to build such an infrastructure for the IC.
7. What overall vision do you have? Do you have a roadmap? If so, what does it involve?
Our vision is to break the boundaries from Web2 to Web3 and build an open, transparent, cheap, and easy-to-use name service.
- 2022 Q1: IC Naming will complete the mainnet product launch and improve IC Naming's peripheral products such as DAPP, SDK, browser extension, etc.
- 2022 Q2: IC Naming will establish a fair distribution mechanism, as well as a platform for name trading and auctions
- 2022 Q3: IC Naming is compatible with ENS & traditional DNS
- 2022 Q4: Promote cross-chain resolution cooperation with decentralized DNS of different public chains, promote collaboration with traditional domain name service providers, and establish wider compatibility for traditional DNS
8. What advantages do you believe you have over other competitors?
Be more open and transparent. In the beginning, it was open-source; our core code, JS-SDK, browser extensions all are open source.
9. Tell us about the team
All the IC Naming team developers have years of experience in open source projects and have their own open-source projects. They love programming and are willing to share their achievements with the world.
The IC Naming project has received an enthusiastic response from the developers in the team, and we have decided to build this project together to bring a reliable, transparent, and open service to the IC ecosystem and the world.
10. What advice do you have for anyone working in the same space as you?
The world is open, and the first thing to consider when building an open service is how to get along with the world, so IC Naming was created to be compatible with ENS and compatible with DNS, rather than isolated from the world. This is how we think and share this idea with any team working in the same space.
11. What other projects building on the Internet Computer are you most excited about?
We watched all the IC ecological projects (icp123, ic apps, official grant list) through 3 channels. During the half-year of the IC mainnet launch, we have seen so many projects built on the IC, which shows that the IC is a tremendous public chain.
The users of IC Naming come from the users of the IC ecosystem. Seeing so many projects in the IC ecosystem also strengthens our confidence in doing IC Naming well. We also provide protection measures for the names associated with these projects to avoid malicious registration.
All IC Naming projects in the IC ecosystem are willing to cooperate, and we are also willing to link up with projects on IC to contribute to the development of the DFINITY ecosystem.
12. Do you have any plans to collaborate or partner with other projects building on the Internet Computer?
IC Naming is an infrastructure, IC Naming is open, and any project that needs to use name serviceS can already start using it.
We have cooperated with IC Port, Astorx, Dstar, iBridge, ICLightHouse, OrderSwap, ICP123, ICPad, ICPmeet, ICES, and other projects, which will support IC Naming serviceS in the future.
We also welcome any projects that need name service to contact us, and we can provide name service related help for your project.
13. Do you have any token sale planned for the future? If so, when? Can you give details?
Nothing has been planned yet.
14. What are your short and long-term achievements and targets?
Some events about IC Naming https://medium.com/@icnaming/ic-naming-milestone-c0d8b8ddc62b
long-term: It's simple and clear: stable, reliable, inexpensive, and easy to use name service
15. Please provide all your social media handles and websites:
Connect With Us:
Sponsored Content : Dfinity Community does not necessarily endorse any content or product on this page. While we aim to provide you with information regarding important projects and developments in the Internet Computer ecosystem, readers should do their own research and carry full responsibility for their decisions, and this article should not be considered as investment advice. Please note that every effort is made by DC to vet projects we promote